Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Weekend, Last Nights Dinner, and Poison!

Memorial Weekend

As Memorial Weekend approaches, I am preparing!  Preparing food that is.  We are so excited to be relaxing with family and their friends all weekend long.  However, this poses a bit more planning on my part as far as my nutrition goes.  There will be yummy food, as would be expected, and we are lucky that the wonderful relatives we are with already eat pretty dang healthy but I want to prepare my own foods so that I stick to my plan and I know exactly what I am eating.  Plus if I plan out my foods now, I won't waste time cooking and I can enjoy the week!

Here's a few of my preparations:
  • First and foremost, I devised a weekend meal plan so I don't lose my way 
  • Hard boiled eggs, peeled, removed the yolk, and now I have my egg whites already cooked and ready to go!
  • Cooked my chicken and shredded it ahead of time 
  • Pre-measured out my oatmeal, added my wheat germ, and cinnamon and now it is ready to go as well.
  • Separated portions of fruit, whole grains, and veggies into containers.
  • Prepared my tuna for my lunch on Sunday
By doing all of this, I know that when the weekend is over, I will not have any disappointment in how I feel as I will have not let myself down and the progress I have made thus far will remain intact.  I really feel my life changing and I LOVE IT!  

Last Nights Dinner Out

As I mentioned in my previous post, Buh-Bye Inches, my husband and I went out to dinner last night and I said I would report on what I ordered and here it is:
  • Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon, with no sauce
  • Boiled New Potatoes
  • Corn on the Cobb with no butter
It was so good and I felt good eating it!  I ate half of what they served me, since restaurants seem to serve sizes big enough to feed the giant at the top of the beanstalk, and it made a really good leftover lunch today!

Poison ... AKA Fruit Punch!

I went to visit my husbands Grandma today at her nursing home and when I arrived she was with a group of other fine little ladies eating birthday cake.  I was offered a piece of one of the five homemade cakes, probably about 4 times, each time politely saying "No Thank You" of course, like the good clean eating girl I am.  :)  This was surprisingly not hard for me to do.  Then came the drinks!  They were serving Hawaiian Punch and apple juice, and when the sweet little lady asked me if I would at least like a drink, of which she had one of each in her hands, I told her punch would be wonderful.  So I took the small styrofoam cup out of her hand and took a sip, not even thinking about what I was drinking.  As I was swallowing that fruit punch I realized what I was doing and if it weren't for the manners my parents bestowed upon me, that punch would have been spurting out my mouth as if it was poison!  I realized at that moment, how committed I was and am to changing my life. 

Before you start thinking "Whoa, ok, she's gone off the deep end on this one!  A little hard core don't ya think?", let me explain how I am feeling and thinking of it.  Why would I allow myself "rewards" or a little bit of "just one won't hurt" so early in my journey?  We all know that "just one" usually doesn't happen, unless you are like someone I know and only buy one bite size candy at the party store and that's how she controls her "just one" problems.  Smart, very smart!  As I have said before, I will allow myself a piece of birthday cake on the occasion and every once in a while I might have something, just a little something.  In the big picture of it all though, the clean foods taste so wonderful and perhaps down the line of time I will start baking a bit more in clean ways.

In short, it really is amazing how much my life as already changed, for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment